jueves, 1 de septiembre de 2011

El Primer Día

The view from our terrace
I was very happy with our home when Mark, Luke and I arrived. Our house is like an apartment; it is on the second floor and has a great view into the plaza right below it. There are balconies from all the rooms in the house, so it is easy to look out onto the street. There are two bedrooms for the three of us, so Luke and I are sharing the larger one.

I was expecting my first encounter with Spanish food for lunch, but to my surprise Isabel ordered Chinese food. When it arrived, Isabel started telling us about how the delivery guy kept saying "lapido" instead of "rapido," mocking his accent and laughing. It was a very funny first impression of my host mother.

After lunch, I took a much needed nap that ended up lasting  longer than planned, until about 8:45. Next, we ate dinner at the normal Spanish time of 9:30 and we saw how spoiled Señoras treat their guests. Isabel made our plates for us and insisted on cleaning all of them herself. "You will have to get used to living like little princes and princesses," we were told during orientation.

When we finished eating, Mark and I explored the city a little and walked on the streets near the river. One big difference here is that everyone is still out and about during the night. There were large groups of people everywhere we went and there were even children playing in a playground even though it was almost 11.

Even after I went to bed, I knew there were still a lot of people on the street because I could hear them out the window. At about midnight, I woke up to the sound of a garbage truck emptying the dumpster outside of our house. Along with this, the crosswalks all make a loud, high-pitched beeping sound when you are allowed to cross and there happens to be one right below our bedroom. I will definitely have to become a deeper sleeper this semester.




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario