lunes, 12 de septiembre de 2011

Un Fin de Semana Relejante (A Relaxing Weekend)

On Saturday, nearly all 28 of the students in our program bought a bus ticket to Madalascañas, a beach about an hour away. The bus station is only about a ten minute walk from my house, but a little further for most people.
Image from lincolnbrody.wordpress.com

About 100 feet away from the coast of the beach, there was what looked like a huge rock. We spent a lot of the  time climbing up the rock, getting cut by the many barnacles along the way, and jumping from the top of it. When we first got there, it was hard to climb to the top because the tide was low. Therefore, the three men had to help most of the girls who wanted to get up by pulling them. However, when the tide got higher, it was much easier to reach the ledge and pull yourself to the top. 


After we got tired of the rock, we dug a huge hole which ended up being a play area for several Spanish children who were lucky enough to find it. 

When we returned to our house, we told Isabel about our experience with the rock. She informed us that it was actually an upside down watch tower and it was illegal to jump from it, so we will not be doing that again. 

When we got to the dinner table there were about ten pairs of little eyes staring at us because we were having shrimp. The shrimp were huge, and Isabel told us that children always complain and will not eat them because they have eyes. Her response to this is that turkeys and cows have eyes too, and they are still willing to eat those. 

For my run on Sunday morning, I decided I wanted to go to the nearby city. I didn't see any way to get to it except through a field, where I  saw  some trailers, one of which had three dogs. I was pretty far away from these dogs, but they still ended up seeing me. First, they started a deep bark and then I saw them heading toward me so I started going faster. Once they got on the same trail as me I put it into high gear, but these were not exactly dogs you could run away from; they were huge greyhounds.

I kept running and every time I looked back, they were much closer. I looked for a weapon but there was nothing. I panicked and screamed pretty loud, but it was still a manly scream. 

The dogs cornered me and growled but they did not attack. I slowly walked away and they just glared at me. Once I was far enough away, I caught my breath and decided I would not be going that way to run ever again. 

After this intense morning, however, Sunday was peaceful. I went to church where I understood a lot more than last week. It is awesome to see how much my listening skills have improved after only a week; I am looking forward to getting even better though.




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario