jueves, 15 de septiembre de 2011

Bingo With the Abuelos

This week went by quickly, mostly because I had a lot of school work to do. On Wednesday, we had our first test already so I was busy studying for that in the begining of the week. I did some of my studying by the river, where I saw a lot of interesting people who distracted me from studying. In Sevilla, people rarely put leashes on their dogs so I got to see a lot of people struggle to pull their dogs apart while walking along the river.

I also got an internship at one of the many tourist agencies. The agency mostly works with students studying abroad and plans trips to nearby cities. They told me that I would have several different tasks, but this week they were busy with a trip to Portugal this upcoming weekend, so I mostly helped them get ready for that.

On Wednesday, I went to the program´s church service again and I was happy to see that there were two new males there. Sunday, we met two other guys from California at our church, and we invited them to the service. They were also interested in some of our other programs, so our numbers are growing slowly.

Thursday afternoon, our group had a service project; we played bingo at a nursing home near our school. All of the residents at the nursing home were guys, so they were mostly interested in all of our girls. One guy in particular wanted an individual picture with every single girl. After that was over, I forced him to take one with me too.

When we brought the bingo sets out, one guy was particularly excited and he went to the table as fast as he could. The rest of the guys did not seem that excited at first, but once we began the first round, several guys migrated from the television to the bingo table.

Sadly, I did not win any rounds of bingo. However, I did get to practice my Spanish a lot with people who did not necessarily know we were learning Spanish and talked at their normal rate instead of slowing down for us. I am planning to return to the nursing home on Monday for my service learning class so hopefully I will be remembered.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario