viernes, 23 de septiembre de 2011

Flaminco Dance

This past week was a busy one; between doing homework, working at my internship, and studying for our final grammar test, I was busy most of the week. On Friday, we had a written and oral test for grammar, which means we are finally moving to literature.


On Friday night, we had a guys night since most of the girls went to Portugal for the weekend. Mark, Luke, and I met up with two friends who we met at church. Both of them are from California and are studying in another program here. It is great to have two more guys to hang out with, bringing our total all the way up to five. The two also joined our prayer groups since their program is not Christian but they still wanted the opportunity to worship.

 The five of us went to a small pizza place and shared some really tasty pizza. The owner of the shop was nice too and he loved telling us about a typical Spanish passion, fútbol. There are two fútbol teams here in Sevilla, so there are plenty of opportunities for the Spaniards to debate on which is the better team.  

After the pizza, we went to a flamenco bar where I finally got to see the famous dancing that I have heard about over and over since I got here. The room was packed with people all gathered around a small stage with three people: a singer, a guitar player and, most importantly, a dancer.

The dance was impressive and unique at the same time. The woman did not look like she was enjoying herself since she did not smile at all, but I am guessing it is part of the dance style to look professional. The most impressive part of the dance was that her dance shoes were more like high heels. Despite the uncomfortable shoes, she was able to spin, stomp, and swirl quickly and to the beat of the song too, for the most part.

I had another first on Friday night too; for the first time I witnessed a sleepwalker. Luke, whom I share a room with, warned me that this would happen but it was still a little scary when he woke me up by yelling followed by standing right next to my bed. On the bright side, he spoke in Spanish while he was walking, so his mind is obviously getting used to the new language. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario